Because it’s been a minute since I did one of these, here’s a list of things that have happened in the last few months that I haven’t really been super public about:
1. Next month will mark a year that I’ve been part of the writing team for Atwood Magazine. A few weeks ago I became one of the Staff Writers! Which basically means I have more strict deadlines and get to turn out a lot more content. Very excited to continue growing and discovering more music with this awesome team.
2a. I decided that Grad school would be a good option after I finish at Columbia, specifically to continue to grow as a writer. I applied to Loyola and DePaul, got in to both, but I am very excited to say that I’ve committed to DePaul for the Masters in Journalism program!
2b. Equally as astounding, I’ve already received a scholarship to study at DePaul, and I’m working to hopefully get more of the tuition covered. Mostly, this point stands as a thank-you to my many mentors, supporters, and people-who-made-things-happen so I have a pretty decent resume and plethora of experiences to offer. In addition to that, I’m thankful to drum corps for helping me understand that there’s more for me to learn than I already know, and more room for improvement than the skill I already have. (Hopefully this program will teach me how to finally articulate the most valuable lesson I got from dci…because I’m still trying to figure that out).
3. My family has been through the ringer in grief in the last couple of months, which I have talked about. We’ve lost both my grandma (Nancy) and my grandpa (Mel) this year already, and I’ll be going back to Minnesota for my grandpa’s funeral on April 22nd. I’ve had some trouble processing this second death, and I’ve made some really weird snap-decisions since last Friday in a weird way. Nothing crazy, just something like purchasing a ukulele and start to learn how to play it during the absolute worst time.
4. Speaking of worst time – just generally under the most stress I’ve felt in probably my entire undergraduate career, aside from the Fall of Sophomore year. Which is why there hasn’t been much content over here, and I apologize for that. But as you can see… we’re keeping very busy, between work/school, and it’s a great time to be alive.
5. My final summer with Spirit of Atlanta is very quickly approaching and I have a multitude of mixed feelings. More later. Maybe.
6. Um… I’m graduating in May from Columbia. WOW. Definitely more later.
That’s it for now, but stay with us. More big things and sentimentality coming your way.