As of about 10:30am this morning, I’m pretty much done with my third semester of college. One more to go, and I’m half way. Where has the time gone? I still feel like I just moved to Chicago. Sometimes I think I still need to revert back to my Fall 2013 class schedule, even though that’s been done for over a year.
I’m pretty sure this has been one of the most stressful and difficult couple of months I’ve ever had to endure, and the only way I’ve gotten through it is lists. To-do lists. Grocery lists. Top five of xyz. You name it, I’ve probably made a list out of it. So what better way to recap the semester than a variety of lists?
Things I’ve learned this semester
– Iceland is cool
– Glad I don’t live in Milwaukee
– The limit of plays (still) does not exist when it comes to the Newsies soundtrack
– Audio Hijack pro is worth the $30
– Cooking is the best form of procrastination
– The only thing you should ever ‘turn down’ for is Fire Blankets
– I might be addicted to Amazon
– I definitely have an unhealthy obsession with Mickey Mouse
– Cartwheel is my BFF
“Do you have to go to target?”
“What hotel are we staying at?”
“How do you pronounce… [slaughtering of an Icelandic name such as Jóhanna Sigurðardóttir]…?”
“Can you remind me tomorrow?”
“Is the laundry room working?”
“How’s the internet today?”
Top 5 Music Choices
New Favorite Things
– Keurig/Cappuccino K-Cups
– Spotify Premium
– Mickey Mouse slippers
– Compression Socks
– Foam Mattress pad
Moments (in no particular order)
– My color guard students receiving top honors
– The first hour after my first 16-mile run/the 40-mile weekend
– Every time I was able to run from dark to dusk to sunrise
– The Saturday night after Brewer’s Half Marathon in Milwaukee, WI with Sam, Keara, and Rachelle
– Learning the Boston Crusaders 2014 Warm-Up in my apartment
– Every moment spent leisurely walking down Laugavegur in Reykjavík, Iceland
– The night at Fosshotel Baron with the Iceland class
– Eating a hotdog in Iceland
– Drinking cider in Iceland
– Buying records in Iceland
– Listening to music in Iceland
– Blogging in Iceland (sort of)
– Sleeping in Iceland (the ten hours we did, anyway)
– Blue Lagoon in Iceland
– Golden Circle Tour in Iceland (hahahahaha)
– Northern Lights in Iceland
– Interviewing Kaleo for Iceland Airwaves
– Running into the guitarist for Kaleo, Rubin Pollock, at Airwaves. We had a lovely chat.
– Running around Reykjavík, not really knowing where we were because, well, Iceland
– Discussing what there could possibly be to turn down for (besides fire blankets) in Iceland
– Landing in Iceland
– Drinking orange juice in Iceland
– Every breakfast in Iceland
– Drinking coffee in Iceland
– … basically all of Iceland, okay?
Even though Iceland definitely dominated my life this semester, (running home in a mad dash from another friend’s apartment to finish research papers/write emails/revise pitches/send more emails,) it also held most of the wonderful moments this semester. From going out to dinner and hanging out at someone’s apartment in the weeks leading up to the trip with the class; taking over the media room so we could meet our midnight deadlines; hanging around the different venues and bars around Reykjavík, which music seemed to dominate; to right now, feeling like clawing my eyes out, and looking for motivation to finish the last bits of editing for the final documentary.
I’m definitely in need of this break, though. Looking forward to a working and hanging around the city with little to no stress, taking a little weekend trip to Iowa for some twirly flag band auditions, heading home for a few days to ski/celebrate Christmas/film, end the year with some of my favorite people in the world, and then back to Chicago to work and mentally prepare for an overload in the Spring.
Happy finals, everyone.
Keep on stayin’ with us.